- ZERO-DIMENSIONAL SYMMETRY SEMINAR
- Speaker: Alejandra Garrido, The University of Newcastle
- Title: Maximal subgroups of some groups of intermediate growth
- Location: Room LG 17, McMullin (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Time and Date: 2:00 pm, Tue, 16th Oct 2018
Given a group one of the most natural things one can study about it is its subgroup lattice, and the maximal subgroups take a prominent role. If the group is infinite, one can ask whether all maximal subgroups have finite index or whether there are some (and how many) of infinite index. After telling some historical developments on this question, I will motivate the study of maximal subgroups of groups of intermediate growth and report on joint work with Dominik Francoeur where we give a complete description of all maximal subgroups of some "siblings" of Grigorchuk's group.
- [Permanent link]