- CARMA NUMBER THEORY SEMINAR
- Speaker: Randell Heyman, University of NSW
- Title: Modular Forms and the Sum of Four Squares
- Location: Room V205, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Time and Date: 2:00 pm, Thu, 17th Nov 2011
Modular forms have had an important role in number theory for over one hundred years. Modular forms are also of interest in areas such as topology, cryptography and communications network theory. More recently, Peter Sarnak’s August talk, "Chaos, Quantum Mechanics and Number Theory" strongly suggested a link between modular forms and quantum mechanics. In this talk we explain modular forms, in the context of seeking a formula for the number of representations of an integer as the sum of four squares.
- [Permanent link]