- CARMA OPTIMIZATION SEMINAR
- Speaker: Prof. Steve Wright, Computer Sciences Department and Wisconsin Institute for Discovery, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Title: Packing Ellipsoids and Circles (with Application to Chromosome Arrangement)
- Location: Room V205, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Time and Date: 2:00 pm, Mon, 23rd Jan 2012
We consider the problem of packing ellipsoids of different size and shape in an ellipsoidal container so as to minimize a measure of total overlap. The motivating application is chromosome organization in the human cell nucleus. A bilevel optimization formulation is described, together with an algorithm for the general case and a simpler algorithm for the special case in which all ellipsoids are in fact spheres. We prove convergence to stationary points of this nonconvex problem, and describe computational experience. The talk describes joint work with Caroline Uhler (IST, Vienna).
- [Permanent link]