- SIGMAOPT SEMINAR/OCANA SEMINAR
- Speaker: Laureate Prof Jon Borwein, CARMA, The University of Newcastle
- Title: Pathological maximal monotone operators
- Location: Room V205, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Access Grid Venue: UNewcastle [ENQUIRIES]
- Time and Date: 9:30 am, Thu, 5th Apr 2012
In this paper, we construct maximally monotone operators that are not of Gossez's dense-type (D) in many nonreflexive spaces. Many of these operators also fail to possess the Brønsted-Rockafellar (BR) property. Using these operators, we show that the partial inf-convolution of two BC-functions will not always be a BC-function. This provides a negative answer to a challenging question posed by Stephen Simons. Among other consequences, we deduce that every Banach space which contains an isomorphic copy of the James space J or its dual $J^*$, or of $c_0$ or its dual $l^1$ admits a non type (D) operator.
- [Permanent link]