- AMSI EVENT
- Speaker: A/Prof Simon Kristensen, Aarhus University
- Title: Metrical musings on Littlewood and friends
- Location: Room V205, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Access Grid Venue: LTU [ENQUIRIES]
- Time and Date: 2:00 pm, Fri, 23rd Mar 2012
The celebrated Littlewood conjecture in Diophantine approximation concerns the simultaneous approximation of two real numbers by rationals with the same denominator. A cousin of this conjecture is the mixed Littlewood conjecture of de Mathan and Teulié, which is concerned with the approximation of a single real number, but where some denominators are preferred to others.
In the talk, we will derive a metrical result extending work of Pollington and Velani on the Littlewood conjecture. Our result implies the existence of an abundance of numbers satisfying both conjectures.
- [Permanent link]