- CARMA NUMBER THEORY SHORT COURSE
- Speaker: Prof Wadim Zudilin, CARMA, The University of Newcastle
- Title: Hilbert's 7th Problem
- Location: Room V205, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Dates: 11:00 am, Wed, 4th Apr 2012 - 4:00 pm, Wed, 4th Apr 2012
- 11:00 am - 1:30 pm and 2:30 pm - 4:00 pm
The problem posed by Hilbert in 1900 was resolved in the 1930s independently by A. Gelfond and Th. Schneider. The statement is that $a^b$ is transcendental for algebraic $a \ne 0,1$ and irrational algebraic $b$. The aim of the two 2-hour lectures is to give a proof of this result using the so-called method of interpolation determinants.
- [Permanent link]