- AMSI ACCESS GRID SEMINAR
- Speaker: Dr David Hill, Ausgrid Chair of Electrical Engineering, The University of Sydney
- Title: Planning and Control of Massive Networks
- Location: Room V206, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Access Grid Venue: Compute Canada
- Time and Date: 9:00 am, Wed, 4th Apr 2012
ATTENDEES FROM OUTSIDE MATHS SHOULD RSVP TO firstname.lastname@example.org DUE TO LIMITED ROOM CAPACITY.
The modernization of infrastructure networks requires coordinated planning and control. Considering traffic networks and electricity grids raises similar issues on how to achieve substantial new capabilities of effectiveness and efficiency. For instance, power grids need to integrate renewable energy sources and electric vehicles. It is clear that all this can only be achieved by greater reliance on systematic planning in the presence of uncertainty and sensing, communications, computing and control on an unprecedented scale, these days captured in the term "smart grids". This talk will outline current research on planning future grids and control of smart grids. In particular, the possible roles of network science will be emphasized and the challenges arising.
- [Permanent link]