- SIGMAOPT SEMINAR
- Speaker: Qiji Jim Zhu, Department of Mathematics, Western Michigan University
- Title: Variational methods in the presence of symmetry
- Location: Room V205, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Access Grid Venue: UNewcastle [ENQUIRIES]
- Time and Date: 3:00 pm, Mon, 27th Aug 2012
Variational methods have been used to derive symmetric solutions for many problems related to real world applications. To name a few we mention periodic solutions to ODEs related to N-body problems and electrical circuits, symmetric solutions to PDEs, and symmetry in derivatives of spectral functions. In this talk we examine the commonalities of using variational methods in the presence of symmetry.
This is an ongoing collaborative research project with Jon Borwein. So far our questions still outnumber our answers.
- [Permanent link]