- CARMA OANT SEMINAR
- Speaker: A/Prof. Michael Coons, CARMA, The University of Newcastle
- Title: The rational-transcendental dichotomy of Mahler functions
- Location: Room V206, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Access Grid Venue: UNewcastle [ENQUIRIES]
- Time and Date: 3:00 pm, Mon, 15th Oct 2012
In this talk, we will show that a D-finite Mahler function is necessarily rational. This gives a new proof of the rational-transcendental dichotomy of Mahler functions due to Nishioka. Using our method of proof, we also provide a new proof of a Pólya-Carlson type result for Mahler functions due to Randé; that is, a Mahler function which is meromorphic in the unit disk is either rational or has the unit circle as a natural boundary. This is joint work with Jason Bell and Eric Rowland.
- [Permanent link]