- SIGMAOPT SEMINAR/OCANA SEMINAR
- Speaker: Dr Mau Nam Nguyen, Fariborz Maseeh Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Portland State University
- Title: Subgradients of Minimal Time Functions and Applications to Set Facility Location
- Location: Room V205, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Access Grid Venue: TBC
- Time and Date: 9:00 am, Fri, 16th Nov 2012
In this talk, we present our ongoing efforts in solving a number of continuous facility location problems that involve sets using recently developed tools of variational analysis and generalized differentiation. Subgradients of a class of nonsmooth functions called minimal time functions are developed and employed to study these problems. Our approach advances the applications of variational analysis and optimization to a well-developed field of facility location, while shedding new light on well-known classical geometry problems such as the Fermat-Torricelli problem, the Sylvester smallest enclosing circle problem, and the problem of Apollonius.
- [Permanent link]