- CARMA OANT SEMINAR
- Speaker: Mr Michael Rose, School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences, The University of Newcastle
- Title: Expectations on Fractal Sets
- Location: Room V206, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Access Grid Venue: UNewcastle [ENQUIRIES]
- Time and Date: 3:00 pm, Mon, 3rd Dec 2012
Motivated by laboratory studies on the distribution of brain synapses, the
classical theory of box integrals - being expectations on unit hypercubes -
is extended to a new class of fractal "string-generated Cantor sets" that
facilitate fine-tuning of their fractal dimension through a suitable choice
of generating string. Closed forms for certain statistical moments on these
fractal sets will be presented, together with a precision algorithm for
higher embedding dimensions. This is based on joint work with Laur. Prof.
Jon Borwein, Prof. David Bailey and Dr. Richard Crandall.
- [Permanent link]