- TEACHING SERIES SEMINAR
- Speaker: Various Members, CARMA, The University of Newcastle
- Title: A joint presentation from members of the Schools of Education and MAPS
- Location: Room V129, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Time and Date: 12:00 pm, Tue, 21st May 2013
In response to a recent report from Australia's Chief Scientist
(Prof Ian Chubb), the Australian government recently sought applications
from consortia of universities (and other interested parties) interested in
developing pre-service programs that will improve the quality of
mathematics and science school teachers. In particular, the programs
- be multi-institutional and cross-faculty and
- produce teachers who view mathematics and science as contemporary,
dynamic, forward-looking and collaborative human endeavours.
At UoN, a group of us from Education and MAPS produced the outline of a
vision for our own BTeach/BMath program which builds on local strengths.
In the context of very tight timelines, this became a part of an
application together with five other universities. In this seminar we will outline
the vision that we produced, and invite further contributions and
participation, with a view to improving the BMath/BTeach program regardless
of the outcome of the application of which we are a part.
- [Permanent link]