- CARMA TEACHING AND LEARNING SEMINAR
- Speaker: Various Members, CARMA, The University of Newcastle
- Title: Ideas for large class teaching from Eric Mazur
- Location: Room V129, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Time and Date: 12:00 pm, Tue, 11th Jun 2013
Presenters: Judy-anne Osborn, Ben Brawn, Mick Gladys.
Eric Mazur is a Harvard physicist who has become known for the
strategies that he introduced for teaching large first year service
(physics) classes, in such a way that seems to improve the students'
conceptual understanding of the material whilst not hurting their exam
performance. The implementation of the ideas include the use of
clicker-like technology (Mick Gladys will talk about his own implementation
using mobile phones) as well as lower tech card-based analogues. We will
screen a Youtube video showing Professor Mazur explain his ideas, and then
describe how we have adapted some of them in maths and physics.
- [Permanent link]