- CARMA COLLOQUIUM
- Speaker: Prof Michael Barnsley, Mathematical Sciences Institute, Australian National University
- Title: Theory and Applications of Fractal Transformations
- Location: Room VG10, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Time and Date: 4:00 pm, Thu, 10th Jun 2010
- Prof Michael Barnsley, the author of "Fractals Everywhere", will be talking in CARMA's Thursday Colloquium series on iterated function systems.
This talk will introduce fractal transformations and some of their remarkable properties. I will explain the mathematics that sustains them and how to construct them in simple cases. In particular I hope to demonstrate a very recent result, showing how they can be applied to generate convenient mutually-singular measures that enable the storage of multiple images within a single image. The talk will include some beautiful computer graphics.
- [Permanent link]