- THE MAHLER LECTURES (AUSTMS)
- Speaker: Akshay Venkatesh, Stanford University
- Title: Dynamics and the geometry of numbers
- Location: Room V206, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Time and Date: 10:00 am, Tue, 8th Oct 2013
It was understood by Minkowski that one could prove interesting results in number theory by considering the geometry of lattices in R(n). (A lattice is simply a grid of points.) This technique is called the "geometry of numbers". We now understand much more about analysis and dynamics on the space of all lattices, and this has led to a deeper understanding of classical questions. I will review some of these ideas, with emphasis on the dynamical aspects.
- [Permanent link]