- CARMA SHORT COURSE
- Crash course in geometric group theory
- Location: Room V206, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Access Grid Venue: CARMA [ENQUIRIES]
- Time and Date: 10:00 am, Mon, 2nd Dec 2013
- CARMA is offering this short course, to be given by Dr Murray Elder, ARC Future Fellow, CARMA and The University of Newcastle, via the Access Grid, comprising of eight two-hour lectures over four days. Participation is by invitation -- please email Murray.Elder@newcastle.edu.au if you are interested.
Times and Dates:
Mon 2 Dec 2013: 10-12, 2-4
Tue 3 Dec 2013: 10-12, 2-4
Wed 4 Dec 2013: 10-12, 2-4
Thu 5 Dec 2013: 10-12, 2-4
Abstract: This will be a short and fast introduction to the field of geometric group theory. Assumed knowledge is abstract algebra (groups and rings) and metric spaces. Topics to be covered include: free groups, presentations, quasiisometry, hyperbolic groups, Dehn functions, growth, amenable groups, cogrowth, percolation, automatic groups, CAT(0) groups, examples: Thompson's group F, self-similar groups (Grigorchuk group), Baumslag-Solitar groups.
- [Permanent link]