- CARMA COLLOQUIUM
- Speaker: Prof George Willis, CARMA, The University of Newcastle
- Title: Amenability, measure and randomness in groups
- Location: Room V206, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Access Grid Venue: UNewcastle [ENQUIRIES]
- Time and Date: 4:00 pm, Thu, 28th Nov 2013
This colloquium will explain some of the background and significance of the concept of amenability. Arguments with finite groups frequently, without remark, count the number of elements in a subset or average a function over the group. It is usually important in these arguments that the result of the calculation is invariant under translation. Such calculations cannot be so readily made in infinite groups but the concepts of amenability and translation invariant measure on a group in some ways take their place. The talk will explain this and also say how random walks relate to these same ideas.
The link to the animation of the paradoxical decomposition is here.
- Download: Colloquium presentation (136 KB)
- [Permanent link]