- CARMA OANT SEMINAR
- Speaker: A/Prof Simon Kristensen, Aarhus University
- Title: Diophantine approximation in positive characteristic
- Location: Room V205, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Access Grid Venue: SeeVogh (non-AG) [ENQUIRIES]
- Time and Date: 10:00 am, Wed, 22nd Oct 2014
- SeeVogh meeting number 7876118766.
The completion with respect to the degree valuation of the field of rational functions over a finite field is often a fruitful analogue to consider when one would like to test ideas, methods and conjectures in Diophantine approximation for the real numbers. In many respects, this setting behaves very similarly to the real numbers, and in particular the metric theory of Diophantine approximation in this setup is well-developed and and in some respects more is known to be true in this setup than in the real numbers. However, natural analogues of other classical theorems in Diophantine approximation fail spectacularly in positive characteristic. In this talk, I will introduce the topic and give old and new results underpinning the similarities and differences of the theories of Diophantine approximation in positive characteristic and in characteristic zero.
- [Permanent link]