- CARMA COLLOQUIUM AND SIGMAOPT SEMINAR
- Speaker: Angelos Tsoukalas , School of Mathematical and Geospatial Sciences, RMIT University
- Title: Using Cutting Planes in the Feasibility Pump
- Location: Room V206, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Access Grid Venue: RMIT
- Time and Date: 3:30 pm, Wed, 27th Oct 2010
We discuss the feasibility pump heuristic and we interpret it as a multi-start, global optimization algorithm that utilizes a fast local minimizer. The function that is minimized has many local minima, some of which correspond to feasible integral solutions. This interpretation suggests alternative ways of incorporating restarts one of which is the use of cutting planes to eliminate local optima that do not correspond to feasible integral solutions. Numerical experiments show encouraging results on standard test libraries.
- [Permanent link]