- CARMA DISCRETE MATHEMATICS SEMINAR
- Speaker: Dr Thomas Kalinowski, CARMA, The University of Newcastle
- Title: Combinatorics of data recovery in distributed databases
- Location: Room VG25, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Time and Date: 1:00 pm, Wed, 1st Apr 2015
I will discuss a combinatorial problem coming from database design. The problem can be interpreted as maximizing the number of edges in a certain hypergraph subject to a recoverability condition. It was solved recently by the high school student Max Aehle, who came up with a nice argument using the polynomial method.
- [Permanent link]