- CARMA TEACHING AND LEARNING SEMINAR
- Speaker: James Juniper, The University of Newcastle
- Title: Applying Diagrams from Category Theory in a more User-friendly Approach to Teaching Advanced Elements of Financial and Economic Analysis
- Location: Room V205, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Time and Date: 12:00 pm, Tue, 12th May 2015
The seminar will provide a brief overview of the potential for CT to contribute to quantitative analysis in the Social Sciences. This will be followed by a description of CT as a "Rosetta Stone" linking topology, algebra, computation, and physics together. This carries over to process thinking and circuit analysis. Coecke and Parquette's approach to diagrammatic analysis is examined to emphasize the efficiency of block shifting techniques over diagram chasing. Baez and Erbele's application of CT to feedback control is the main focus of analysis and this is followed by a brief excursion into multicategories (cobordisms), before finishing up with some material on coalgebras and transition systems.
- [Permanent link]