- THE UNDERGRADUATE TALKS IN MATHEMATICS
- Speaker: Dr Daniel Sutherland, CARMA, The University of Newcastle
- Title: Some Stuff about Sum Stuff
- Location: Room V104, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Time and Date: 12:00 pm, Tue, 12th May 2015
Have you ever tried to add up the numbers 1+1/2+1/3+...? If you've never thought about this before, then give it a go (and don't Google the answer!) In this talk we will settle this relatively easy question and consider how things might change if we try to thin out the sum a bit. For instance, what if we only used the prime numbers 1/2+1/3+1/5+...? Or what about the square numbers 1+1/4+1/9+...? There will be some algebra and integration at times, but if you can add fractions (or use a calculator) then you should follow almost everything.
- [Permanent link]