- CARMA NUMBER THEORY SEMINAR
- Speaker: Dr Faustin Adiceam, University of York
- Title: Rational approximation and arithmetic progressions
- Location: Room V205, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Time and Date: 3:00 pm, Tue, 20th Oct 2015
We discuss problems of approximation of an irrational by rationals whose numerators and denominators lie in prescribed arithmetic progressions. Results are both, on the one hand, from a metrical and a non-metrical point of view, and on the other, from an asymptotic and also a uniform point of view. The principal novelty of this theory is a Khintchine-type theorem for uniform approximation in this setup. Time permitting some applications of this work will be discussed.
- [Permanent link]