- CARMA DISCRETE MATHEMATICS SEMINAR
- Speaker: Dr Thomas Kalinowski, CARMA, The University of Newcastle
- Title: Combinatorial Nullstellensatz
- Location: Room V31, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Time and Date: 3:00 pm, Thu, 27th Aug 2015
Noga Alon's Combinatorial Nullstellensatz, published in 1999, is a statement about polynomials in many variables and what happens if one of these vanishes over the set of common zeros of some others. In contrast to Hilbert's Nullstellensatz, it makes strong assumptions about the polynomials it is talking about, and this leads a tool for producing short and elegant proofs for numerous old and new results in combinatorial number theory and graph theory. I will present the proof of the algebraic result and some of the combinatorial applications in the 1999 paper.
- Download: Seminar slides (208K)
- [Permanent link]