- CARMA DISCRETE MATHEMATICS SEMINAR
- Speaker: Dr Thomas Kalinowski, CARMA, The University of Newcastle
- Title: The union-closed sets conjecture
- Location: Room V205, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Time and Date: 3:00 pm, Wed, 2nd Mar 2016
Peter Frankl's union-closed sets conjecture, which dates back to (at least) 1979, states that for every finite family of sets which is closed under taking unions there is an element contained in at least half of the sets. Despite considerable efforts the general conjecture is still open, and the latest polymath project is an attempt to make progress. I will give an overview of equivalent variants of the conjecture and discuss known special cases and partial results.
- [Permanent link]