- CARMA DISCRETE MATHEMATICS SEMINAR
- Speaker: Dr Thomas Kalinowski, CARMA, The University of Newcastle
- Title: Discrepancy in graphs
- Location: Room V205, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Time and Date: 3:00 pm, Wed, 30th Mar 2016
The discrepancy of a graph measures how evenly its edges are distributed. I will talk about a lower bound which was proved by Bollobas and Scott in 2006, and extends older results by Erdos, Goldberg, Pach and Spencer. The proof provides a nice illustration of the probabilistic method in combinatorics. If time allows I will outline how this stuff can be used to prove something about convex hulls of bilinear functions.
- [Permanent link]