- CARMA DISCRETE MATHEMATICS SEMINAR
- Speaker: Prof Brian Alspach, CARMA, The University of Newcastle
- Title: Hoffman-Singleton paper of 1964
- Location: Room VG25, Mathematics Building (Callaghan Campus) The University of Newcastle
- Time and Date: 3:00 pm, Mon, 7th Nov 2016
Today's discrete mathematics seminar is dedicated to Mirka Miller. I am going to present the beautiful Hoffman-Singleton (1964) paper which established the possible values for valencies for Moore graphs of diameter 2, gave us the Hoffman-Singleton graph of order 50, and gave us one of the intriguing still unsettled problems in combinatorics. The proof is completely linear algebra and is a proof that any serious student in discrete mathematics should see sometime. This is the general area in which Mirka made many contributions.
- [Permanent link]