Indigenising University Mathematics Project
“Indigenising University Mathematics” is a priority of CARMA and the CARMA Education and Equity research group. This is a broad worldwide endeavour to which CARMA is just one contributor.
Contact: Judy-anne Osborn
Community of Practice
At the first “Indigenising University Mathematics" Symposium (20-21 Sept 2021 AEST), the participants expressed interest in forming a "Community of Practice". CARMA will support this in various ways, including hosting 4 annual online meetings/yarning sessions. The first will be in November, 2021, precise date to be determined. Judy-anne will be contacting participants to ask about suitable times/dates and posting the date once it is decided on this page.
Participants expressed an interest in ongoing conversations around ideas including: what we can each individually do in our practices and our teaching to promote justice, what Indigenous Mathematics is, the nature of Mathematics, potential for a Special Interest Group within the AustMS/other organisations, and the possibility of (an) Accord(s) between Mathematical Communities and Indigenous Communities. Quite a few are already writing in these areas as part of who we are and what we do. Some are writing or have already written about the Symposium itself.
The writing, book project, meetings and organisations listed below all also provide opportunities for growing/extending an emerging Community of Practice.
Sophie Raynor's Blog: https://www.sophieraynor.org/blog/ium_reflections/
Edited Book Project
In our CARMA Education and Equity research group we are working on putting together an edited book on the topic of “Indigenising University Mathematics”. The aim is to help us all, as a community, develop our thinking and our shared knowledge. Tentatively, the book is organised around the Conference themes, with possibly some extras. We are in discussions with a potential publisher. We hope to launch a call for contributions in the first half of 2022.
Indigenising University Mathematics, specifically:
- Indigenizing University Mathematics Special Session, CMS, 2-7 December 2021, Canada
Organisers: Florence Glanfield, Naomi Borwein and Veselin Jungic
The “Indigenising University Mathematics” day will be 7th December in Canada (which is 8th December in Australia).
We hope to have some presentations joint with “Indigenising University Mathematics” at the AustMS.
- Indigenising University Mathematics Special Session, AustMS, 7-10 December 2021, Australia
Organisers: Michael Donovan and Judy-anne Osborn
We hope to have some presentations joint with “Indigenizing University Mathematics” at the CMS.
- IUM2: Indigenizing University Mathematics Symposion, 2022, Canada Details to be announced.
More broadly, from our network:
- Diversity in Graduate Mathematics Education, paraDIGMS 2021 Fall Conference, IMSI, October 28-31, 2021, United States This is an initialive of the paraDIGMS group which aims to increase equity and diversity in their community.
- QSide Colloquim, Decolonizing Data, QSide institute, October 28, 2021, United States Speaker: Autumn Asher BlackDeer, MSW, PhD Candidate at Washington University. A Quantitative native approach to indigenous mental health and higher education.
Indigenous led organisations: